Categories (formerly called Tags) are a user-defined way of organizing tracks in your Live365 library. Categories can help to make searching your Library and building Playlists and Clockwheels easier.
What are Categories?
Categories are a Live365-internal way of labeling tracks in your Library. Track Categories (formerly called Tags) are different from Types: Categories are customizable and user-defined, whereas track Types are static, defined by Live365. A track can have multiple Categories, but it can only have one track Type. (Read more about Types here.) You can use the flexible Live365 Categories feature to organize your library in many ways. Here are some common ways to organize your library:
- By genre - Probably the most popular way to organize your library if your station intends to play more than one genre of music. Some examples include rock, pop, gospel, classical, etc.
- By decade - You might have songs from different decades. Use Categories like -'70s, -'80s, -'90s, etc. This can help you build decade-centric Playlists.
- By mood - Categorize your tracks as “upbeat”, “chill”, “happy”, “fierce”... These Categories can help you make smoother transitions in your Playlists by matching tracks for the mood they convey.
- By upload date - Categorize by year or month that the Track was uploaded. When you run low on room in your library, delete the oldest tracks and add some new tracks.
- By language - This might not be applicable for most stations, but if you have multiple tracks in Japanese or Spanish, for example, it would make the foreign tracks easier to recognize.
- By popularity - Create codes for recent hits and timeless tracks so that you can work the biggest hits into your Playlists regularly. Read more about library coding here.
You can have more than one Category per track, for example, something can be categorized as “'90s”, “rock,” and “upbeat” at the same time.
Why do I need Categories?
Categories make it easier for you to search your library. They also help in Playlist and Clockwheel creation. Categories can help you rotate new songs into your library as well.
You can use the Filter menu (pictured above) in the Tracks pane to search your library for songs that have a specific Category, or number of Categories simultaneously.
Can I use the same Category for Music and Station ID files?
You should use "different" category tags for your music and jingle files, even if they are of a similar genre. You can assign as many categories as you would like, but you need to make sure a category only has tracks from a single type (music, talk, station ID, promo).
NOTE: In order for the automation systems to work properly, they need to narrow down each category to a type, so that we can properly follow DMCA or separation rules. If categories have tracks of different types, it's hard for the tracks generator to know what to do with these tracks, which causes unexpected results.
For example, you may have music and jingles that are winter holiday themed and you want to be able to group them together. You'd tag the Music files with a "holiday" category and the Station ID files with "holidayID". This way, you'll be able to call the correct file types when using ClockWheel templates.
How do I make Categories?
Create Categories by selecting Media -> Categories, from the station menu navigation bar, as shown below.
In the Categories pane, click the orange "Add Category" button.
Follow these steps to add a new category.
Step 1) Enter a descriptive name for your new category.
Step 2) Chose a color to associate with the category.
Step 3) Click the green "Save" button to record your changes.
Once you have clicked the “Save” button, your Category will appear in the Category pane.
Edit Or Delete A Category
1) First, click the "Actions" hamburger menu (. . .)
2) Select "Edit" to change the category name or choose "Delete" to remove it.
Editing a Category will change the Category for "all of the tracks" currently labeled with that Category.
Adding Categories and Types while uploading tracks to your Library.
Upload tracks by selecting Media -> Tracks from the Station Menu.
Next click the orange "Add Track" button on the Media -> Tracks page. For best results, upload similar tracks in each batch because you can only select one Type for all the tracks in each batch.
Once you have clicked the orange "Add Track" button, the "Upload Tracks" window will open. Drop your files into the box or browse for the tracks that you want to add.
Once your have added the desired tracks, click the blue "Submit" button as indicated in the image below.
Once you click "Submit", the "Categorize Tracks" pane will open.
Step 1) Select the appropriate Type from the dropdown menu.
Step 2) Next, select one or more Categories for the tracks that you are uploading.
Step 3) Finally, click the green "Upload Files" button to record the changes and upload the files.
Finally, verify the track Metadata of any uploaded tracks, then click the green "Save" button. All of the tracks in the upload window will be Tagged simultaneously.
NOTE: In general, we recommend that you upload batches of similar tracks to make use of this feature.
How to bulk-adjust track Categories
If you did not add Categories when you uploaded the tracks, don’t worry, it’s not too late! You can add Categories to your tracks at any time. Select Media -> Tracks from the station menu.
Use the checkboxes in the column on the left to select tracks. All of the tracks that you select will receive the same Category.
Once you have selected tracks, use the "Bulk Actions" drop-down menu at the top of the pane to choose a Category for the selected tracks.
1) Next, click the "Select" box to open up the category drop-down options menu.
2) Choose a Category (or multiple Categories) for the selected tracks.
Once you have made your selections, click the green "Save" button on the right side of the "Tracks" pane.
Related Article: To learn about "Track Types" click here.